FracFocus Data Download
For FracFocus technical related issues or data questions, contact 405.607.6808 or you can ask us a question here.
This replica database download will be updated around the 15th of every month with the latest disclosures available through www.FracFocus.org. It will contain a Microsoft SQL Server 2012 database backup of the same public disclosure information available through the FracFocus ‘Find a Well’ search. Also included in the data release is a data dictionary detailing each attribute found in the database.
These backups were created using Microsoft SQL Server 2012. We strongly recommend using the 2012 edition of Microsoft Management Studio. You may download a free copy of Microsoft SQL Server 2012 Express/Management Stuido from the Microsoft website. Instructions for converting the database from Microsoft SQL format to Microsoft Access may be found here. Or, if you would like to export data to Microsoft Excel, you can find one method to do so here.
LIMITATIONS OF THE DATABASE
Disclosures submitted using the FracFocus 1.0 format (January, 2011 to May 31, 2013) will contain only header data. Disclosures submitted using the FracFocus 2.0 format (November 2012 to present) will contain both header and chemical data. NOTE: Between November, 2012 and May 31, 2013 disclosures in both 1.0 and 2.0 formats were submitted to the system. After May 31, 2013 only disclosures submitted in the 2.0 format were accepted.
The database contains information exactly as reported to FracFocus, and only the data displayed on the disclosure PDF files. FracFocus does not alter or modify the submitted data in any way.
DATA DOWNLOAD STRUCTURE
Each FracFocus record is composed of three parts stored in a separate database table:
- The header which describes the well, its location, the date of the treatment, and the total volume of base fluids.
- Another piece of the record set is a list of the additives used. These are listed by the additive name, supplier and the purpose of the additive.
- Last is another list of the chemical ingredients added to the base fluids; these may be listed be by each additive or the cumulative amount from all of the additives. Each chemical will be listed by name; its chemical abstract number (CAS); if it has a Material Safety Data Sheet (MSDS) to describe safety procedures and exposure treatment; it’s concentration in the additive, if broken down that way, by percent of mass; and it’s concentration by percent of the total mass.
The public database backup is titled fracfocusregistry-MMYY.bak (e.g. fracfocusregistry-0415.bak for April, 2015). UPDATED(Nov. 2016):To properly combine the dataset we suggest you use the join structure shown below for creating any queries:
From FracFocusRegistry.dbo.RegistryUpload ru
Join FracFocusRegistry.[dbo].[RegistryUploadIngredients] ri
Left JOIN FracFocusRegistry.dbo.RegistryUploadPurpose rp
on ri.pKeyPurpose = rp.pKey
Where (ri.pKeyPurpose is null or ru.pkey = ri.pKeyDisclosure)
The readme located in the data download contains a data dictionary that details the data attributes for the following tables:
- RegistryUpload – This table contains each disclosure’s header information such as the job date, API number, location, base water volume, and total vertical depth.
- RegistryUploadPurpose – This table contains each disclosure’s additive names, suppliers, and the purposes for the additives used.
- RegisryUploadIngredients – This table contains each disclosure’s chemical information, where available, such as the CAS number and the maximum percentages in which they are found in the additive and job.
To proceed, you must agree to the terms and conditions.
- Disclosures submitted using the FracFocus 1.0 format (January, 2011 to May 31, 2013) will contain only header data. Disclosures submitted using the FracFocus 2.0 format (November 2012 to present) will contain both header and chemical data. NOTE: Between November, 2012 and May 31, 2013 disclosures in both 1.0 and 2.0 formats were submitted to the system. After May 31, 2013 only disclosures submitted in the 2.0 format were accepted.
- Data submitted appears as it was submitted by the operator or operator’s authorized agent. FracFocus does not warrant the data in any way.
- Downloaded data may be aggregated or combined with other datasets, but the FracFocus data may not be altered in any way.
- FracFocus does not provide end user support for the downloading or analysis of the data.
- You agree to abide by the website terms and conditions of use located here.